Please note that we are currently accepting new applications for China, for the special needs program only. Please refer to the sections below for more information on the requirements, the children, and general information on costs and delays.
Our agency currently has a VERY short waiting list of parents for the Special Needs children program in China (May 2019). The delays are actually reduced to their strict minimum; for instance; the delay between the reception of the file in China and the proposal is around 1 to 6 months.
We are always seeking families who wish to adopt 6 months to 4 years old children, without gender preference, who could have medical conditions such as: surgically repaired heart conditions, cleft lip and palate, hepatitis B, treated congenital syphilis, club feet, mild developmental delays or born prematurely and many other treatable and operable medical conditions. If you are interested in an adoption of a child with physical, usually correctible, special needs, please consult the admissibility criterias below (Section “Who may adopt” and contact us for more information.
We have been licensed for China since 1991. Between 1991 and December 31st 2016, we have helped families adopt some 3047 children from this country.
Who may adopt
The chinese authorities request that prospective parents meet certain criteria (please note that these criteria apply to all NEW REGISTRATIONS made with the agency after June 30, 2017):
- Only couples who have been married for at least two years are admissible, common law couples are not accepted. If either spouse has been previously divorced, please check with Société Formons une famille if you are eligible. Note: If one party has no divorce history OR 1 divorce, their current marriage should last not less than 2 years. If one party has 2 divorces, their current marriage should last not less than 5 years. In calculating the marriage lasting time for couples, the time living together before their marriage can be included.
- Both parents must be at least 30 years of age. If the younger spouse is over 50 years of age, the maximum allowed age difference between the adopted child and the younger spouse is 50 years. (Age difference is calculated from the registration date of the file in China – (log in date)
- China requires that the family employment income be a minimum of $10 000 USD per year per family member, including the child to be adopted. For example, to adopt a first child, income must be over $30 000 USD, $40 000 USD for a second child, and so on. For single parent, the employment income must be over $30 000 USD to adopt a first child, $40 000 USD for a second child, and so on.
- The couple must have a “Net Worth” of at least $80 000 USD (“Total assets minus Total Debts”: A single parent must have a “Net Worth” of at least $100 000 USD (“Total assets minus Total Debts”. A specific form will be filled out by applicants to submit to the chinese authorities).
- In a couple adoption, the number of minors living in the house of the parents should be not more than 5; in a single adoption, the number of minors in the house of the parents should be not more than 2.
- The youngest child in the house should reach 3 years old.
- Both parents must have completed a high school education (or equivalent professionnal diploma).
- Both parents must be in good physical and mental health. If you have (or have had in the past) any health problem, please contact us in order to verify any restrictions that may apply.
- Both parents should have no criminal record and have no history of the following: conjugal violence, sexual abuse, child abandonment, experiencing drugs, alcohol or drug abuse.
- Both parents must have a Body Mass Index (BMI) below 40
- China requires a minimum of one year between the last adoption and the time you submit a new application to adopt from China (or between the birth of a biological child and the submission of an adoption application).
- Persons residing in Quebec without being Canadian citizens may be admissible under certain conditions. Should this be your case, please contact us to verify your admissibility.
- Single female applicants are currently being accepted only to adopt children with special needs, according to specific admissibility criteria. Please contact us for more information.
Other criteria are applicable to residents of Quebec. We invite you to visit the International Adoption Secretariat (SAI) website for more information.
Children generally proposed
- Children aged between 0-2 years of age, or older. A specific program exists to facilitate the adoption of children with special needs (please refer to section below: “Children with Special Needs”). It is not possible to choose the gender of the child to be adopted, parents must be open to receiving a proposal for a child of either gender.
- Contrary to other countries, all the children from China are of unknown origin, i.e. abandonned anonymously.
- Although difficult, it is possible to adopt twins.
- The proposal from China contains several documents: the “Letter Seeking Confirmation from Adopter” (official proposal to the parents identifying the child, the orphanage and the province), a medical examination record (including blood test results for HIV, Hepatitis B, syphilis and other routine blood and urine tests), and general information on the child’s development contained in the form “State of Growth of Prospective Adoptive Child”.
- While in China, parents will receive other pertinent documents, such as the child’s Birth Certificate and Adoption Registration Certificate.
Other useful information
Approximate cost (couple) :
Delay between proposal and departure :
approximately 6 to 8 weeks
Decision type :
Final administrative decision
Duration of stay (varies according to province of adoption) :
14 to 21 days, including travel
Obligation to travel in China :
Yes, at least one of the two spouses must go
File Status at the CCCWA
Information from the CCCWA
The CCCWA does not post this information on its website at predetermined dates, therefore we cannot know in advance exactly when we will be able to update this information ourselves.
Furthermore, as of January 2015, the CCCWA has announced that if the number of children available for adoption in a given month is insufficient to match all the paernt files waiting in a given Log In Date (LID), the CCCWA will match as many parents’ files as possible given the number of children available and according the the parents’ preference (age and gender), following the order in which the parents’ files were added to the CCCWA data base. It is therfore possible that a LID be matched only partially in a given month.
March 20th 2019: the most recent cut-off date confirmed by the CCCWA is February 11th, 2007.
This information is dated March 20th 2019 and will be updated during the week beginning of April 29th, 2019.
During the week of February 12th, 2018, we received a proposal for a family logged on February 8th, 2007
The next LOGIN date for which we have files registered and are expecting proposals is February 12th, 2007. However, we cannot know in advance at which time we will be receiving the next proposals. As the CCCWA processes few applications each month, parents with LID of February 12th, 2007 can still wait several months for a proposal.
For information on which files have been reviewed and matched by the CCCWA during the past weeks, please refer to the above section: “File Status at the CCCWA”.
Planning your travel to China
Before you leave for China, you must apply for an entry visa. You will be insctructed to proceed with your visa application once we receive your proposal from China, please wait for us to advise you before you proceed.
When instructed to do so, please read CAREFULLY the instructions you will be given BEFORE you start completing your visa application form.
Children with Special Needs
Our agency currently has a short waiting list of parents for the Special Needs children program in China. We wish to inform you that we are seeking families who wish to adopt 6 months to 4 years old children, without gender preference, who could have medical conditions such as: surgically repaired heart conditions, cleft lip and palate, hepatitis B, treated congenital syphilis, club feet, mild developmental delays or born prematurely and many other treatable and operable medical conditions. If you are interested in an adoption of a child with physical, usually surgically correctible (or treatable) special needs, please consult the admissibility criteria above (Section “Who may adopt?”) and contact us for more information.
Since February 2003, the CCCWA allows our agency to find families who are interested in adopting children with special needs (minor handicaps and/or health problems).
Each month, the CCCWA announces the date(s) they will post a new list of special needs cases.
Note for July 2019: A list of special needs cases was posted July 9th, 2019
1 proposal was received and accepted
Note for June 2019: A list of special needs cases was posted June 18th, 2019
Note for May 2019:
2 proposals were received and accepted
Note for April 2019: A list of special needs cases was posted April 2nd, 2019
1 proposal was received and accepted
Note for February 2019: A list of special needs cases was posted February 26th, 2019
Note for January 2019: A list of special needs cases was posted January 22nd, 2019
Note for December 2018: A list of special needs cases was posted December 18th, 2018
Note for November 2018: A list of special needs cases was posted November 27, 2018
Note for October 2018: A list of special needs cases was posted October 30th, 2018
Note for September 2018: A list of special needs cases was posted Sepember 4th and September 25th, 2019
Note for August 2018: A list of special needs cases was posted August 21st 2018
Note for July 2018: A list of special needs cases was posted July 17th, 2018
Note for June 2018: A list of special needs cases was posted June 5th and June 19th, 2018
Note for May 2018: A list of special needs cases was posted May 2nd, 2018
Note for March 2018: A list of special needs cases was posted March 27, 2018
Note for February 2018: A list of special needs cases was posted February 6th, 2018
Note for January 2018: A list of special needs cases was posted January 2nd, 2018
We believe that it is a fundamental right of all children to be part of a loving family. That is why we are proud to cooperate with the China Center for Children’s Welfare and Adoption (CCCWA) who facilitates this type of adoption by expediting the adoption process of parents who wish to adopt a child with special needs. We also believe that the sooner each child finds a home, the brighter their future will be.
During the past years, our agency has placed over two hundred (200) children with special needs. Most frequent special needs files received in the recent years have been cleft lip/palate, cardiac problems, congenital malformations of hands/feet, deafness, hepatites B and/or other health problems. Some children are simply older, healthy children (usually boys over the age of 8 years).
To learn more about the details of this special program, do not hesitate to contact us!
Partners and links
The central authority for adoption matters in the People’s Republic of China is called the China Center for Children’s Welfare and Adoption – CCCWA. We invite you to visit their website at : CCCWA