MESSAGE DATED December 18th, 2020
Registrations are currently possible (limited registrations). Please contact us for the date of an upcoming information session
Information sessions for this country are available via Skype. It is intended for couples who wish to obtain more informaion in general.
The following topics will be discussed:
- Société Formons une famille: Creation, vision, mission, roles and responsabilities, services
- Children: living conditions, health and status
- The country: culture, politics
Please contact us to make an appointment for an information meeting. Please send an email at firstname.lastname@example.org and include the following information:
SUBJECT: Adoption BURUNDI
1- your names
2- your ages
3- the date of your marriage
4- home address
5- home phone number and a cell phone number
6- only 1 email address at which you want to receive our confirmation message
7- age of your youngest child (or his date of arrival in Quebec, if adopted), if applicable (otherwise, add the mention “childless”)
Our adoption program in Burundi started in 2014.
The adption law of Burundi establishes the following criteria :
- adoptive parents must be 30 years of age or older. The law does not stipulate a maximum age for adopters, however the country takes into consideration the parents’ age as well as the age of the child they wish to adopt. Couples over the age of 50 must consider this age difference and we suggest they be open to adopt older children (i.e. 4 to 8 years of age)
- Only couples, married for at least 5 years, can adopt (common law couples and same sex couples are not admissible); In calculating the marriage lasting time for couples, the time living together before their marriage can NOT be included.
- adopters must be in good health and have no criminal record.
- If you have (or have had in the past) any health problem, including mental illness, please contact us in order to verify any restrictions that may apply. People who have been diagnosed with a mental illness are not eligible.
Furthermore, in Quebec, if the couple already has children, the last child must be with the couple since at least 1 year to be admissible to apply for an international adoption (at the time they want to register with an agency).
Other useful information
Approximate cost of an adoption (couple) :
29 000 $
Delay between submission of application in Burundi and the proposal :
Approximately 1 to 2 years
Delay between the time of proposal and departure :
Approximately 1 year
Type of decision :
Obligation to travel to Burundi :
The Burundian authorities require that at least one adoptive parent travel to Burundi to meet for the child. For reasons of safety and the proper functioning of adoption procedures, adopters may also choose to be accompanied by an escort, a volunteer member of the Society for which the adoptive parents pay for the travel expenses (return to Burundi ) and stay (from 2 to 4 days),
Children generally proposed to adoption
In Burundi, adoption of children under the age of 15 is allowed. Children over 13 years of age must give their consent.
However, in the case of our first adoption applications, we will accept only applications to adopt children under the age of 6 years.
Furthermore, all applicants must be evaluated and approved to adopt a child aged between 0 and 4 years of age (or other 4 year age gap).
Partners and links
The Central Authority in the Republic of Burundi is part of the Ministère de la Solidarité Nationale, du Rapatriement des Réfugiés et de la Réintégration Sociale.
The Central Authority receives adoption applications for international adoptions, approves the prospective parents’ dossiers and proposes the children to the prospective parents.